You are the “Y”.
We’re more than a pool - the mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through fitness and healthy living, academic readiness, character development and violence prevention. Our 20 membership centers across the city and suburbs, 5 camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs provide everyone with a safe place to swim, learn, play and grow.
For over 135 years, the YMCA has been a pioneer and set the standard for aquatics and quality swim instruction. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our Aquatic Coordinators to continue this legacy and contribute to the health and wellness of our children, families and communities.
Coordinates and supervises the day to day operation of the aquatics and sports programs.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Provides day to day coordination of aquatic programs.
- Act as a liaison between Aquatics/Sports Directors and Aquatics/ Sports Staff.
- Serve as a contact for all aquatic staff in the Aquatics/ Sports Director’s absence.
- Assist in scheduling staff to ensure safety and quality program delivery.
- Assists in supervising aquatic and sports staff as well as providing evaluation input.
- Teaches aquatics/ sports classes and lifeguards as necessary.
- Assists in developing program materials and distributing program information.
- Assists in training new staff as well as providing ongoing trainings in accordance with training designs.
- Act as a primary responder in case of injury, accident, or illness and be knowledgeable of emergency procedures.
- Provide backup to lifeguards and instructors as needed in emergencies.
- Report injuries and complete required forms.
- Immediately notify a supervisor of any broken equipment or unsafe aspects of the pool.
- Assists in conducting all staff meetings and inservices as scheduled.
- Provide communication and training for membership staff regarding class registrations and programs.
- Ensure state and county standards are being adhered to.
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor or the person responsible for those items at your site.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to managing visitors and guests at our facilities.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
- Support the YMCA’s mission and center operations as needed.
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations.
- Must have an Associate Degree with 1 to 3 years experience and some supervisory experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Current YMCA or ARC Lifeguard certification.
- Proficient in swimming and safety skills.
- Must pass a water skills test and written exam.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations in order to assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aide effectively.
- Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a 200lb person.
- Physically able to see, hear, and communicate clearly.
- Able to read, write, and perform basic math to complete daily chemical logs and individual must possess strong organizational, budgetary, computer and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Ability to train swim and fitness instructors.
- Excellent communication and public relations skills.
- Requires the ability to obtain trainer-level certification in YMCA Swim Lessons: Fitness Classes, Youth & Adult, Preschool, and Child/Parent.